iamshelfless

i am shelfless

Hi, lovely readers! The blog, "I am Shelfless" was made by a passionate reader who is perennially shelf-less ever since she became in love with stories through books.

Never Standing Still by Anie Michaels

Never Standing Still by Anie Michaels

Book #1 of The Never Duet series

Published May 10th 2015 by AM Books

Received a digital copy from the author in exchange for a review

Purchase on Amazon

I’ve spent my life avoiding attachments. I learned early on, from the person who should have loved me most, I only drag others down. So instead, I made it my goal to live in a way that never affected anyone else. I don’t build friendships. I don’t start relationships. I move from place to place, from person to person, never standing still and never putting down roots.

That is, until one day when everything comes crashing down around me and I’m left with the one person who needs me the most. He opens me up and makes me vulnerable. He’s not a secret, but a treasure, and I’ll protect him the only way I know how – even if it makes loving anyone else impossible.

Review:

I have purposely not write a review after I read it so I could fully think it through. To be honest, as I am writing this review, I started at the end first like a person reads the book's ending first before reading the first chapter.

First of all, I'm grateful for the opportunity to have read Never Standing Still in exchange for an honest review! I saw a lot of great feedback on Goodreads; needing tissues because it was a very emotional ride. I couldn't be more excited to start reading the book!

I got pulled immediately while reading the prologue with an understanding that this is where it all started. Never standing still per se. I liked it; the conversations, the measurements, the shooting of the music video (woah) and Kalli & Riot in general. My favorite characters were Marcus, Riot and Ellie!

It's a good read, yeah.

But it didn't work for me. Not how I was expecting to.

I've had no qualms about Riot, Ellie, Megan and the other characters. I actually liked their personality, conversations and their actions. It made me feel warm all over. The thing is, I had a hard time connecting with Kalli. It's like I'm reading several chapters and I'd caught up to her when I'm already in the middle, understanding and sympathizing with her, only to be as confused as I am when I read those previous several chapters on the last part. I understand her, Kalli, because of the things she and her brother had been through. But her indecisiveness and actions in the book in which it happens all the time is err- overreacted. It was irritating. This is the first time that I wanted another character's perspective rather than the main protagonist. (Thank you for Riot's perspective!)

The only time that I felt something (the tissue part) was already near the end. I cried. So heartbreakingly sad. And that cliffhanger.

Never Standing Still is a good read. It is a very realistic, sweet love story about two people. One breaking walls by proving his love. One struggling to not be afraid to love and to get attached. I didn't love it like I was expecting to, but I hope this book will do well with you.